Monday, January 17, 2011

Process Art

The goal of preschool art is the process, not the finished product. Because of this, many of our 'projects' don't really end up looking like anything! When I pull out the paint in our preschool room, the question is not 'what are we making?' but 'what are we going to paint with?' We have used fruits, vegetables, pasta, cotton balls, q-tips, sponges, combs, cereal, suction cups, bubble wrap... ummm I think we have used paint brushes twice this year! The kids are learning that anything can be used for art, and it doesn't matter how their artwork turns out, it is their's. I try not to have a model for the children to compare with or use pre-printed pictures. Sometimes though, they are used as a fall back for 'those' days; the days when nothing seems to go right! The kids always have fun with our art 'projects' and usually have a long story to tell me about what it is! I love hearing their different takes on a painting that they did. Soooo, if your child brings home a strange painting and you are not sure what it is, just ask them! I'm sure they will have a really detailed explanation and story to tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment